Police: Suspects went to smoke marijuana with victims before opening fire


by WWLTV.com


Posted on January 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Updated Saturday, Nov 2 at 6:17 PM

NEW ORLEANS – Police identified two of the people believed to be responsible for a triple murder and deadly police chase in New Orleans East Thursday.  Police said the trio went to the home to smoke marijuana with the victims. 

The trio of suspects allegedly opened fire on five people inside the home in the 7400 block of Devine Street, before leading police on a chase which ended with officers fatally shooting one of the suspects.

Early Friday, police identified two of the suspects as Andrea Price, 21; and her cousin Jubbard Price, 21. A third male suspect, the alleged triggerman, has not been identified. Police said Jubbard Price has confessed to his role in the killings.
Police said at about 9 a.m. Thursday, the trio went to a home on Devine Street to smoke marijuana with five acquaintances who lived at the home. Detectives later learned that the unidentified suspect had recently stayed at the home and knew there was a stash of guns inside.
Police say Jubbard Price and the other male suspect opened fire on the group. As the suspects fled, one of the occupants of the home, Reyland Berry, 60, chased after them and fired gunshots, but missed, according to NOPD. 
Berry was in turn shot in the head by the gunmen and later died at the hospital. Two other victims inside the home were identified as Keishaune Keppard, 20, and Troy Leslie, 37. The other two people in the home were injured.
A witness gave police a description of the suspects’ car, a red Pontiac Grand Prix. The description was broadcast over police radios. Officers patrolling on Louisa St. spotted a car matching the description and began chasing the suspects. 
The chase ended when the car crashed near Chef Menteur Highway and Press Blvd. Police said the suspects began shooting at the officers, who returned fire. One suspect, the unidentified man, was fatally wounded by police. Jubbard and Andrea Price were injured in the exchange of gunfire with police. A police officer suffered a minor injury.
Jubbard Price was treated and released from University Medical Center.  He was then interviewed by detectives who said he confessed to his part in the shootings.  Price was booked with four counts of first-degree murder, for the deaths of the victims on Devine Street and the death of his alleged accomplice, police said.
Andrea Price was still hospitalized as of early Friday and will be booked with four counts of first-degree murder when she is released, police said.
The entire incident shocked those living nearby who characterized the neighborhood as a quiet one.
“I feel horrible,” said a woman who lives nearby. “I got grandkids. We don’t know those people (the victims living in the home). We just say hello to them. We don’t know what happened. I just don’t like it. I can’t live like this.”
Residents in the area of the original shooting and those living and working near the scene where police staged the shootout with suspects were shaken and upset, but police said officers responded quickly and handled the situation properly.
“We had officers in the area who responded almost immediately,” said Deputy Chief Kirk Bouyelas. “In this situation they were able to spot the individuals as they were fleeing, gave chase and did great police work.”
“This was unfortunately a tragedy similar to many others in New Orleans.  We had people here who knew each other, were evidently disputing something and decided to resolve their arguing with the ultimate act of violence,” said Supt. Ronal Serpas in a statement.
“This was not a random act that happened between strangers.  In this case, drugs were involved.  Multiple guns were involved.  And the perpetrators and victims we’ve identified all had previous records and some were certainly no strangers to the criminal justice system,” Serpas said.