WR Parker believes he’s still fighting for Saints roster spot

WR Parker believes he’s still fighting for Saints roster spot

Credit: (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

New Orleans Saints wide receiver Preston Parker (87) pulls in a pass during their NFL football training camp in Metairie, La., Monday, July 29, 2013. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on August 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Bradley Handwerger / WWLTV.com Sports Reporter
Email: bhandwerger@wwltv.com | Twitter: @wwltvsports

METAIRIE, La. — Preston Parker is only giving himself a 50-50 chance of making the Saints’ final 53-man roster.

He probably should bump that percentage, however, after watching as Steve Breaston and Patrick Crayton were dumped mid-engagement by New Orleans in a preseason purge of veteran receivers.

“I guess I’ve been doing the right things, because I’m still here,” Parker said. “That’s what I want to keep doing. That’s the coaches’ decision when they cut players. My main goal is to keep the same job I have had since day one.”

The Saints are all but set with four receivers – Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Nick Toon and Kenny Stills. It’s the possible fifth spot that appears to be a battle.

So far, it would seem Parker is leading for that role. He has led the Saints this preseason with six catches and two touchdowns while his73 receiving yards are third-most on the team.

According to Pro Football Focus, Parker is the 15th-best receiver this preseason for those seeing at least a quarter of their team’s snaps. And while he scored two touchdowns in the preseason opener against Kansas City, PFF gave him a better grade in New Orleans’ win over Oakland.

But he’s not resting on his preseason laurels.

“You have to keep going and you have to keep being productive,” Parker said. “That’s how you want to always think, come in every day and that’s the mindset you need.”

Print
Email
|