DA decides not to prosecute Maine football coach

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on November 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 20 at 8:01 AM

OAKLAND, Maine (AP) — The district attorney has decided not to prosecute a former Maine high school football coach who had been accused of assaulting a player.

Somerset County District Attorney Alan Kelley said in a statement Monday that "criminal assault charges are not supported by the evidence."

Wes Littlefield resigned in September as coach at Messalonskee High School in Oakland after police charged him with assault.

The player's lawyer said Littlefield struck the 17-year-old boy's helmet with "huge force," unsnapping the buckles and turning the helmet.

Littlefield said he made contact with the player's helmet but said it was not hard and normal in the context of practice.

Littlefield tells the Morning Sentinel (http://bit.ly/10lloyS ) the district attorney's decision allows him to get on with his life and pursue a new coaching job.

___

Information from: Morning Sentinel, http://www.onlinesentinel.com/

Print
Email
|