Utah referee critically hurt by soccer game punch


Associated Press

Posted on April 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A referee for a recreational soccer league is in critical condition after being punched in the face by a teenage player who didn't like a call the man made in a weekend game.

The 17-year-old was booked into a juvenile detention center on suspicion of aggravated assault, said Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. Those charges could be amplified if the 46-year-old referee's condition worsens.

The incident happened in a flash during a soccer game Saturday at a field at Eisenhower Junior High School near Salt Lake City, Utah.

The referee called a foul on the player and issued him a yellow card, triggering the player to turn and punch him, authorities said. At first, it appeared the referee just had minor injuries from the single blow.

When the man was taken to a hospital, however, they discovered serious internal head injuries, Hoyal said. He's been in critical condition since Saturday.

There was no buildup to the incident or previous exchange of words between the referee and player, Hoyal said.

"It was almost an instinctive reaction," Hoyal said.

By the time police arrived at the field, the teenager had left. Authorities investigated the incident over the weekend and arrested the teen Monday. His name isn't being released because he's a minor.

The man's name also was withheld. However, he did not appear to be a licensed referee.

The game was part of a "rogue league" unaffiliated with the popular Utah Youth Soccer Association or any city or town recreation department, association CEO Andrew Hiatt said. The association has 50,000 youth players and 15,000 coaches statewide.

In the state association, any player or coach who puts a finger on a referee faces immediate suspension. Players and coaches also sign a code of ethics.

"To see something like this is not what we are looking for," Hiatt said. "It's horrible. Hopefully we use this as teaching moment to continue to push sportsmanship."

This isn't the first time an athlete has hurt a referee.

In December, a 41-year-old Dutch man working as a linesman in youth soccer game in the Netherlands died after he was kicked and beaten by a group of 15- and 16-year-old players. Three teenagers were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, and four more later were detained on suspicion of involvement in the attack.


Follow Brady McCombs at https://twitter.com/BradyMcCombs.