LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWORLEANS- Suspected Bourbon Street shooter Trung Le has been indicted in Orleans Parish Criminal Court on one count of manslaughter and one count of attempted murder for the June 29 incident that left one woman dead and several others injured.

Le is believed to have engaged in a gun battle with another man, who has yet to be identified or arrested in the case.

Brittany Thomas, a 21-year-old Hammond nursing student, died days after the shooting. Le was identified and then captured in Mississippi a few days following the shooting.

'While the arrest was based upon a finding of probable cause, the DA's office must possess evidence that proves the charges beyond a reasonable doubt prior to instituting prosecution,'said a statement from District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro.

Cannizzaro's spokesman, Christopher Bowman, says prosecutors did not ask for indictment on first-degree murder.

Le's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment. Attorney Martin Regan has said there's evidence that Le did not fire the fatal bullet, and that he fired in self-defense after another man aimed a handgun.

Le is the only person arrested so far in the shooting. He has been held without bond.


Read or Share this story: http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/crime/2014/09/08/14780464/