NEW ORLEANS Firefighters were able to rescue an elderly woman who lost consciousness due to heavy smoke from fire as she attempted to escape her home, according to the New Orleans Fire Department.
Around 8:53 p.m. Monday, firefighters received a call reporting a fire with a possible person trapped at 7514 Mackenzie St. in New Orleans East.
They arrived on scene four minutes later to find the right side of a single-story, single-family residence heavily involved in flame, the NOFD said.
The lights were still on inside and the car was in driveway, indicating that someone could likely still be inside.
Firefighters attempted to force entry into the front door, according to the NOFD.
A neighbor, Neil Perry, told firefighters that when he and his wife returned home, they knew something was wrong when they heard the victim's smoke detector. Perry's wife called 911 as he attempted to rescue his neighbor, who he had seen lying on the kitchen floor from the home's rear window.
Firefighters forced entry though the rear kitchen window and found the unresponsive elderly woman on the floor with her keys still in her hand, the NOFD said.
Rescuers forced open the rear metal security door and took the victim outside to attempt CPR and basic life support.
The victim regained consciousness while still on the scene, the NOFD said.
She explained that she had knocked over a candle in the bedroom, which was likely the cause of the fire.
She was attempting to exit the back door, but was succumbed by smoke, the victim said.
She recently had a stroke and suffered from decreased mobility, Perry said.
New Orleans Emergency Medical Service transported her to the St. Bernard Parish Hospital for smoke inhalation treatment, officials said.
The fire was brought under control by 9:11 p.m. by 16 fire personnel using five NOFD units.