NEWORLEANS - Almost a year after a massive fire destroyed the Hubig's Pie factory, the focus is on rebuilding after the City Council unamimously approved a new location for the bakery Thursday.
Hubig's still owns the original Dauphine Street site, but the company said there are certain business rules that would be hard to incorporate if they were to rebuild in the Faubourg Marigny, forcing the company to look for a new site.
'This is an important step towards bringing back Hubig's, a great institution that holds a special place for so many New Orleaneans,' New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in a statement. 'Since last year's fire, my Office of Economic Development and the New Orleans Business Alliance, along with the state and other partners, have worked closely with the owners to assess options to restart Hubig's operations.
'I want to thank the Ramsey and Bowman families and the NOCCA Institute for their work to move this project forward.'
The new location sits on the boundary of the Bywater and Marigny and is surrounded by Press, North Rampart and Saint Ferdinand streets. The new spot was approved 7-0 by the New Orleans City Council, who took up the measure at Thursday's meeting.
In a bit of levity after the vote, councilwoman Kristin Gisleson Palmer added that the apple Hubig's Pice was her favorite.
In May, the City Planning Commission gave Hubig's Pies permission to begin rebuilding the bakery that creates the iconic New Orleans pastries.
The large vacant lot currently belongs to the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts (NOCCA.)