LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Dominic Massa / Eyewitness News
Email: dmassa@wwltv.com | Twitter: @DMassaWWL

ST. CHARLES PARISH, La. - The Krewe of Zeus has withdrawn its application for a parade permit in St. Charles Parish, sheriff's officials said, just one day after news outlets reported the krewe's possible move to Destrehan.

Sheriff Greg Champagne said in a news release Tuesday that his officewas contacted by representatives of the Krewe of Zeus 'who informed him that they were withdrawing the application for a Mardi Gras parade permit in The Ormond Subdivision.'

No reason was given. The krewe's initial application was filed July 7. If the permit had been approved, Zeus would have rolled down Ormond Boulevard on the evening of Saturday, Feb. 7.

Champagne had asked the Ormond Civic Association for input on the possible new parade.

'Like any Mardi Gras parade, this event include large crowds, including their automobiles coming into the subdivision, as well as traffic congestion and restricted street access during the parade,' Champagne wrote in a letter to other parish officials and neighborhood leaders.

'I have contacted the Ormond Civic Association to gauge the level of support for this event with residents. We have already sought and received some input from other parish government officials,' Champagne said.

The sheriff added that he was scheduled to also meet with krewe officialsthis week.

According to the application, the parade was to include floats with 300 people, horses and mules, 100 vehicles, bands, support groups, dune buggies, fire trucks and other units.

This year, the Jefferson Parish Department of Citizens Affairs suspended the permit for a year, saying it failed to meet minimum participation requirements. Zeus was cited for an insufficient number of marching bands and only nine floats, one fewer than the minimum.

A fixture on Lundi Gras since 1957, Zeus was Metairie's oldest Carnival krewe.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/2014/09/05/14717792/