New Orleans metro area events for the Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration:
Monday, Jan. 17
25th Annual MLK Memorial March (New Orleans)
- 9:30 a.m., Opening Program, City Hall, 1300 Perdido St.
- 10 a.m., March Begins at City Hall and ending at MLK Monument at S. Claiborne Ave.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Organization of St. Charles Parish March (St. Charles)
- 10 a.m. at the Hale Boggs Bridge, Luling
26th annual Martin Luther King Jr. March (Kenner)
- 11 a.m. The parade begins at Providence Baptist Church, 11509 Jefferson Highway
Louisiana Children's Museum King Day events
- Various events honoring Dr. King including painting for children, civil rights storytelling and guest artists singing to honor Dr. King.
MLK Day Service Project (New Orleans)
- 1 p.m., Norwood Thompson Park, 7200 Forshey St.
St. Bernard Project in Lower Ninth
- St. Bernard Project groundbreaking ceremony for their 'House the Nine' initiative on MLK Day St. Bernard Project volunteers gather to 'Build the Dream' in honor of MLK Day; launches 'House the Nine' initiative on this National Day of Service
MLKService Day Project (Harvey)
- On Monday, January 17, 2011, members of the Gulfsouth Youth Action Corps (GYAC), hundreds of volunteers, and staff will meet at the Safe Haven Community Center in the Tallow Tree community in Harvey. The community center houses Home for Homework, Operation REACH'S after-school enrichment program for children in grades K-8. Volunteers will refurbish the center with exterior and interior painting, general cleaning and landscaping. They will also branch out into the community to collect trash.
MLK Commemorative Art Exhibit (New Orleans)
- 2 p.m., New Orleans African American Museum, 1418 Gov. Nicholls St.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day March (St. Tammany)
- 3 p.m. at Starlight Missionary Baptist Church, 2100 Second St., in Olde Towne Slidell.