Email: | Twitter: @WWLTV

CHALMETTE, La. -- Officials in St. Bernard Parish will be talking about how residents should take extra caution with the water supply at a meeting Thursday, after tests came back positive for a brain eating amoeba, and a 4-year-old boy died after contracting the amoeba in the Parish, while playing on a slip and slide.

Many residents still have questions so the St. Bernard Parish Water and Sewer Committee is meeting this afternoon to talk about precautionary measures.

Last week, tests showed the amoeba in four locations in the Parish, all in Arabi and Violet.

Health officials have been saying the water is drinkable in St. Bernard Parish; the problem is ingesting it through the nose, so officials urge residents to take precautionary measures and remember infection from this amoeba is extremely rare.

The amoeba has been linked to three deaths traced to water in Louisiana since 2011.

The Parish says it is going to keep flushing chlorine into the water system until it reaches the recommended levels, but that process will take several weeks.

The Center for Disease Control suggests avoiding ingesting water through the nose then bathing, showering, washing the face, or swimming in kiddie pools.

Also, do not let children swim unsupervised with sprinklers or hoses.

The CDC suggests running bath and shower taps and hoses for 5 minutes before use, to flush out the pipes, as well as keeping kiddie pools clean, by scrubbing and drying them completely after each use.

The St. Bernard Parish Water and Sewer Committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers, which is in the St. Bernard Parish Government Building on West Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette.

Read or Share this story: