Email: | Twitter: @WWLTV

TERRYTOWN, La. - A home in Terrytown was engulfed in flames Tuesday morning.

Flames broke out around 6:40 a.m. in the 200 block of Appletree Lane.

Four adults and two children were able to escape after smelling smoke. Once they were out, they called the Terrytown Volunteer Fire Department.

'I just woke up and I couldn't breathe and I stepped out my room and I tried to wake my girls up,' said Stephanie Phillips. 'I'm just thankful we made it out the house.'

Within four minutes of the 911 call, firefighters found flames and smoke on the second floor, according to the fire department.

About 20 firefighters fought the one-alarm blaze, and it was under control around 7:20 a.m.

A fan was used to clear the smoke out of the house.

There are no reported injuries.

Red Cross was on the scene to help the family begin the recovery process.

'It's just material things...I'll live. We'll be all right. We're resilient,' Phillips said.

Soot could be seen in the windows of the second floor, a hole was burned into the side of the home and the roof had visible damage. There will most likely be fire, smoke and water damage, and the assessment of the extent of each is being investigated.

The family has no insurance.

Jefferson Parish investigators were on the scene.

(Thanks to Charles Moreau for sending us eyewitness video.)

Read or Share this story: