Maya Rodriguez / Eyewitness News
Email: | Twitter: @mrodriguezwwl

NEW ORLEANS -- Seventy two hours after a massacre at a Connecticut elementary school, the flag remains at half staff in front of Belle Chasse High School, a school that investigators say faced their own threat from a student.

Deputies arrested Leonard F. Jourdan III, 18, on state charges of terrorizing.

'He admitted to making the terrorist threats toward the students and the school, stating that he was going to shoot up the school as well as tying up a teacher and slitting her wrist,' said

Commander Eric Becnel of the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff's Office.

It all began Monday afternoon, when administrators called the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff's Office about the threats.

Jourdan and his parents went to the detective bureau, where the Belle Chasse High School senior admitted to making the remarks in front of classmates and a teacher, but he said he had been joking.

The sheriff's office said they have probable cause, and arrested and booked him in to the Belle Chasse lockup with a bond set for $75,000.

'We take all these matters seriously,' Becnel said. 'Based on events, current events that's occurring in this country, we have to take these allegations seriously, and our main concern is public safety and in making sure that students or teachers are protected and they go home safe every day.'

Parents picking up their children from schools say , this incident hits close to home.

'This is a small community. Everybody is pretty close. Cops are usually on top of everything. But it happened in a small community in Connecticut too, so it's pretty scary,' said Wade LeBlanc, a Belle Chasse High School parent. 'It's not a good thing.'

'I don't think anyone thought of doing that to a human being. That's what's sad, that people don't care about human beings anymore you know, the value of their lives,' said Andrea Powers, a Belle Chasse High School parent.

At this point the sheriff's office says they believe this was an isolated incident. Jourdan remains in custody and is undergoing a mental health evaluation. He is set for a magistrate hearing Wednesday afternoon.

Read or Share this story: