HAMMOND, La. -- A Hammond police offer was treated in the hospital for precautionary reasons after he inhaled ammonia during a meth bust Monday.
The incident happened at about 12:45 p.m. at the Super 8 Motel on Westin Oaks Drive. According to Hammond Police Department officials, police received a call of a strange odor with smoke coming from one of the hotel's rooms.
When one of the officers arrived on the scene, he investigated a hole in the carpet and a suspicious bag in the trash can. When he opened the bag to see what was inside, the officer inhaled ammonia.
Officials say the officer is fine and that he was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons.
Police arrested Travis Jordan, 33, in the case. He faces charges of manufacturing of methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine, criminal damage and arson.