COVINGTON- Two young girls are in a Texas hospital recovering from burns after a fire broke out in their Northshore home Thursday morning.
Four children total were pulled from the fire and their mother got out safely. It didn't take long for their Covington neighborhood to show its love with stuffed animals, placed at the charred door step.
'I've lost a child before so you know, it's a devastating thing and I just pray the babies be okay,' said Pat Brown, a friend of the family.
Of the two children hurt, one, a 6-year-old girl, has burns on 70 percent of her body. The other, a 4-year-old girl, has burns on half of her body. The two other children, a 6-year-old boy and 3-year-old boy, were spared from any harm because of a neighbor who went into the smoke and flames to pull them out.
'Reacted and went through the house,' said Jeffery Schurr, 'I did what anybody else that would have done. I did what a human being is supposed to do.'
The Covington Fire Chief says a recent merge with the police dispatch center likely led to the children coming out of the fire alive.
'They at least have a fighting chance at life,' said Chief Richard Badon, 'Another 30 seconds, 45 seconds, or a minute, which may have been the case with telephone transfers, it probably wouldn't have been that situation.'
One of the firefighters to get the two girls out says he was just doing his job.
'Actually this is the first time I pulled somebody out of a fire. It hits a little close to home because I do have a little nephew who's three and sometimes you can't help but think about that,' said Barrett Hebert.
Investigators are eyeing a window-based air conditioning unit as the possible cause. They believe there were no working smoke detectors in the home.