NEW ORLEANS -- There are still many unanswered questions about Friday's shooting in the Marigny.
14-year-old Marshall Coulter is still in critical condition recovering from a gunshot wound to the head, and the man police say shot the teen, 33-year-old Merritt Landry, is now out on bond.
Police say the teen was unarmed and appeared to be alone when he was shot once in the head by Landry.
Landry, a building inspector for the city, told police he found the teen near his car inside his fenced-in yard just before 2 a.m. Friday.
Landry's neighbor, Charles Hazouri, told Eyewitness News his security camera caught the teen jumping Landry's fence eight minutes before police arrived. Hazouri also claims his video shows teens riding by on bikes earlier in the night, checking out houses and parked cars.
According to court records, Landry said when he approached Coulter the teen made a move 'as if to reach for something' and that is when he pulled the trigger.
However, detectives say one witness statement does not match up with Landry's account.
In the documents, police say they found one shell casing 30 feet from where the 14-year-old was shot.
Investigators also say the teen was not trying to enter Landry's home at the time and that he did not pose an imminent threat to Landry.
It is for those reasons police say they arrested Landry for attempted second degree murder.
Landry has since bonded out and has been suspended without pay from his job with the city, pending the outcome of the case.
Police say Coulter is in critical but stable condition. However, if Coulter does not survive his injuries, police say they will upgrade Landry's possible charge to second-degree murder.