SLIDELL, La. - Six people have been arrested and three others are being sought after an apparent drug deal gone bad ended with shots fired and one person injured early Wednesday in Oak Harbor near Slidell.
According to police, the sheriff's office received a 911 call shortly after midnight from a residence on Cape Breton Drive.
Responding officers found a vehicle that was occupied by four people leaving the scene.
Police said John Burdine, 23 of Slidell; Hailey Gill, 20 of Covington; Philip Kitchen, 22 of Slidell; Kelsey Schoenberger, 18 of Lacombe; Jonathan Vines, 23 of Slidell and Terry M. Hall, 24 of New Orleans were at the residence on Cape Breton.
Police said Vines and Hall were there to supply marijuana to the other four. Arrangements were also made for Byron Davis, 26 of Folsom; Jimmy Coyne, 23 of Folsom; and Donice Garrett, 23 of Folsom to come to the house to buy marijuana.
Schoenbeger met the three outside the subdivision and brought them to the residence. When they arrived, Coyne met with Vines to complete the drug deal. Instead of money, Coyne produced a weapon and stole the drugs from Vines. A struggle over the weapon resulted in Vines possessing the handgun. Davis then exited the vehicle with his own weapon and was subsequently shot by Vines (with Coyne's gun). Hall then entered the fray and shot Davis as well.
Coyne, Garrett, Davis and Schoenbeger then fled the scene in their vehicle. The four were stopped by Sheriff's deputies before they made their way out of the subdivision. Hall separately entered his vehicle and also drove away from the residence.
Davis was transported to a south shore hospital where he underwent surgery yesterday morning for injuries sustained to his abdomen and buttocks. He is expected to be released in the next few days.
All nine of the men face charges in connection with the incident as follows:
- Vines: Possession with intent to distribute of marijuana.
- Coyne: Convicted felon in possession of a firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon during a drug transaction, armed robbery, armed robbery with a firearm, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession of marijuana.
- Schoenberger: Armed robbery, armed robbery with firearm, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession with intent to distribute and distribution of marijuana.
- Garrett: Armed robbery, armed robbery with firearm, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession or marijuana.
- Davis: Aggravated assault with a firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon, armed robbery, armed robbery with a firearm, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession of marijuana.
- Burdine: Obstruction of Justice.
- Kitchen: Possession with intent to distribute marijuana.