LOSANGELES - Former Saints safety Darren Sharper entered a plea of not guilty and his bail was raised to $1 million in connection with an indictment that accuses him of raping two women and drugging those victims and others in two separate incidents late in 2013 and in early 2014 in Los Angeles.
CNNreports that Sharper was also ordered not to frequent clubs, bars or 'any venue where alcohol is the primary item for sale.'His passport has been surrendered, according to the judge.
According to CNN, one of his defense attorneys, Leonard Levine, told the court that Sharper was pleading not guilty, as well as denying all special allegations, enhancements and 'priors,' an apparent reference to alleged prior offenses.
Sharper had more bad news become public Thursday as Miami police confirmed they were looking into an alleged sexual assault in 2012. That comes in addition to the indictment in Los Angeles and investigations into rapes in New Orleans, Arizona and Nevada.
In light of the latest developments, Darryn Dewalt, who worked with Sharper on several campaigns and fundraisers locally, offered this comment.
'I've known and worked with Darren a long time and Isee the allegations and I don't know that DarrenSharper,'he said. 'Ican't comment on specifics in the case, but I've always known him to be a compassionate guy and what is being said, Idon't know that Darren Sharper.'
The incident in Miami was reported last month, two days after Sharper was arrested in Los Angeles. The report stems from an incident in 2012. The report says the victim heard about the arrest and filed the report.
Sharper is in Los Angeles today to be arraigned on charges that he drugged and raped two women.