CROWN POINTE, La. - Brenda Contranchis lost everything when her Crown Pointe home flooded during Isaac. Two months later, insurance issues are holding up rebuilding efforts at her home in Lower Jefferson Parish, which lies outside the federal levee protection system.That's why Contranchis and her 69-year-old mother, Shirley, have been staying in hotels with help from FEMA.
But on Monday, that assistance will end.
'I have nowhere to go,' said Contranchis.
'I'm sleeping in my car if I have to. Or I'm going to go and clean a little spot in my house,' said Contranchis' mother.
The gutted home has no furniture or running water. It's still smells of mildew.
'It's not sanitized, it's not livable, and we need help,' said Contranchis.
While the Contranchises did receive a grant from FEMA to rent a home, they say it's not enough to pin a place down.
'Every place I've called, they want a year lease, they want the first month's rent, they want security deposit,' said Contranchis.
But FEMA officials said the hotel assistance was only meant to provide short term relief and has already been extended three times.
'That's why the state and FEMA and local organizations continue to work together to find a long term solutions necessary for some of those folks who are unfortunately still displaced from their homes,' said FEMA spokesman Ray Perez.
According to Perez, at the height of the program, about a thousand Louisianans were staying in hotels on FEMA's dime. No estimate on how many remain. Perez said the assistance will end statewide Monday, with a few exceptions.
Meanwhile, hurricane victims like the Contranchises are hoping for the best and praying for some relief.
'I would deeply appreciate it to get any help I can,' said Contranchis.
FEMA said It will work with families to help them find a safe place to stay. For help, call 1-800-621-3362 between 7 am and 10 pm, or visit one ofthe followingDisaster Recovery centers in Southeast Louisiana from 8 AM TO 6 PM Monday through Friday.
- Lafitte Town Hall, 2654 Jean Lafitte Boulevard, Lafitte.
- Greater New Orleans Estelle Playground, 5801 Leo Kerner Lafitte Parkway, Marrero.
- East Bank Regional Library, 4747 West Napoleon Avenue, Metairie.
- East New Orleans Regional Library, 5641 Read Boulevard, New Orleans.
- New Orleans Public Library's Robert E. Smith Branch, 6301 Canal Boulevard, New Orleans.
- New Orleans Public Library's Algiers Regional Branch, 3014 Holiday Drive, New Orleans.
- Belle Chasse Auditorium, 8398 Highway 23, Belle Chasse.
- Bethlehem Baptist Church, 111 Bethlehem Street, Braithwaite.
- Plaquemines Parish Government Center, 28028 Highway 23, Port Sulphur.
ST. TAMMANY PARISH:
- Slidell Municipal Auditorium. 2056 Second Street, Slidell.
ST. CHARLES PARISH
- Village Square Shopping Center, 737 Paul Maillard Road, Suite A, Luling.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH:
- Disaster Recovery Center, 1931 West Airline Highway, LaPlace.