KENNER, La. - Whether it's people leaving after Super Bowl 47 or coming into town for Mardi Gras, officials at Armstrong International said they expect to see over 40,000 people at the airport on Monday.
By 5:30 a.m., the airport was full of commuters and, although the number of personnel was doubled at TSA checkpoints, lines were long, particularly at Concourse D.
Officials issued a five step process to make traveling easier, called the '5-4-3-2-1.'
- Travelers should checkout of hotels five hours prior to departure.
- Rental cars should be returned four hours before departure.
- Commuters should arrive at the tickets counter three hours before departure.
- People should be in line a the TSA security checkpoint two hours before departure.
- Travelers should arrive at their terminal gate one hour prior to departure.
The Super Bowl Host Committee provided 500 volunteers to help ease the busy travel day.
The first shift of volunteers works 2:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. and then the second shift works the remainder of the day, said Bob Delaney of the committee.
'The people who are here who work for the airport have done a tremendous job in facilitating movement of all those people through the TSA checkpoints, through the baggage area. All we're going to do is help them get to a point and the people who work here at the airport are going to do the rest and they're doing a great job,' Delaney said.
The committee is passing out postcards that include a pin, a thank you note from the mayor and information on how to win a trip back to New Orleans.