Ashley Rodrigue / Eyewitness News
Email: | Twitter: @ashleyrwwl

KENNER, La. -- As former Mandeville Mayor Eddie Price stepped back onto Louisiana soil and into his family's arms Tuesday, it marked the end of more than two years in federal prison after a long list of missteps in both his personal and professional life, dating back to 2008.

Eyewitness News Northshore Bureau Chief Ashley Rodrigue spoke with Price in an exclusive interview.

Price: 'I'm happy to be here.'

Rodrigue: 'What are you going to do first?'

Price: 'I'm going to go reunite with my family and my grandchildren.'

Rodrigue: 'Any type of food you want?'

Price: 'A little Crawfish.'

Rodrigue: 'Is there anything you'd like to say to the city or your supporters?'

Price: 'Not right now. I think I'll do that at a later time.'

Price said he will spend the rest of his term at the Volunteers of America halfway house in Gentilly.

Rodrigue: 'How long do you have to stay there?'

Price: 'I'm thinking six months, but it may be two, I'm not sure. Whatever the BOP says.'

Rodrigue: 'Are you going to attempt to get home detention?'

Price: 'Well they allow that, so...'

Rodrigue: 'So you will attempt it?'

Price: 'Absolutely.'

Rodrigue: 'OK, so you're just looking forward to just having this over with?'

Price: 'Yes, yes I am.'

Carla Bucholtz was a council member during the price controversy and through the clean-up that continues. 'The city certainly found it to be very trying. Our citizens were very concerned, upset, emotional, but we got through it and we're moving forward,' Bucholtz said.

She said new leadership and new standards have helped restart the city into a place that has weathered the storm well.

'It's a gem of Louisiana and our constituents are resilient and humble,' she said.

During the remainder of his term, Price is required to have a job, which he says he is still looking for.

While at the halfway house, he will be under a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew and likely not allowed to have a cell phone.

Read or Share this story: