Funeral held for slain cabbie

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on April 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Updated Friday, Apr 12 at 6:33 PM

NEW ORLEANS – A funeral was held Friday for a cab driver slain Thursday in Treme, while cabbies asked for the city to do more to protect the drivers.

The killing of 35-year-old Seicho Delbar is the seventh killing of a cabbie in the past two years.

Homicide detectives are investigating Delbar’s killing. They responded to a report of a car accident Thursday morning and found Delbar dead inside of his cab.

Last year the city implemented sweeping changes that required drivers to have security cameras inside the cab along with panic buttons and GPS tracking systems.

American Taxi said Delbar had all of that equipment.

“We understand that it didn’t work out in this situation,” said Mulachi Hull of the city’s Taxicab Bureau.

Hull added that drivers are safer with the new equipment and that – unfortunately – in this case, the technology is now being used to try to help solve a crime.

Print
Email
|