The 2014 hurricane season begins Sunday and one of the most important things you can do before the start of the season is check on your insurance.
How can you make sure you get the most out of your coverage plans ahead of a hurricane and in time for evacuation? State Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon joins the Eyewitness Morning News with some advice.
Before a storm threatens:
- Review your policies
- Take notice of whether you have a wind
- Buy NFIP flood insurance, even if you don't live in a flood zone
- Make a visual home inventory
If you have to evacuate:
- Take copies of your policies with you, along with your agent's contact info
- Don't forget about your health insurance
If you have any questions on your insurance coverage you can contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance by calling 1-800-259-5300 or visiting their web site.