;

Dog rescued, resuscitated from fire goes home

Brees the dog – yes, named after Saints quarterback Drew Brees – was released from MedVet, according to Dr. Alan Ralph, whose response was Tweeted by the NOPD.

NEW ORLEANS — A dog who was rescued from a high-rise apartment fire and given a second chance at life by first responders who resuscitated him, is going home from the vet, according to the NOPD.

Brees the dog – yes, named after Saints quarterback Drew Brees – was released from MedVet, according to Dr. Alan Ralph, whose response was Tweeted by the NOPD.

Loading ...

Brees was rescued from a fire on the seventh floor of the Esplanade at City Park complex after a fire last week. The complex was evacuated and there were no injuries reported to have been suffered by people, but Brees was overcome by the smoke.

Unconscious because of carbon monoxide poisoning, New Orleans EMS revived Brees with CPR and oxygen and then jumped in the car with NOPD to rush him to MedVet in Metairie.

“Had first responders not performed perfectly, he would not have made it to the hospital,” said Dr. Ralph, according to the NOPD Tweet. “Brees is alive because of their bravery.”

Brees’ owner, Mark Grapes, said he was extremely grateful to those who helped.

“I was going to freak out if I lost him,” he said. “I thank them so much. I cry all the time. So thankful. He’s my everything.”