NEW ORLEANS — The Voodoo Music + Arts Experience has cancelled its 2020 festival. It's the latest major event in New Orleans to do so because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Organizers of the annual Halloween music and cultural event in City Park made the announcement the day after New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival heads said they were canceling their annual festival. The Voodoo Experience tweeted the news Friday morning.
"While we are disappointed to share this news, the health and safety of our fans, artists, staff and community remains our top priority," the statement read.
Voodoo Fest, Jazz Fest and ESSENCE Fest have all cancelled their 2020 events in the days following New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell's recommendation to push back all major gatherings in the city until next year.
"My opinion is all of that pushed back, period," Cantrell said. "Simply because of the impacts in terms of our recovery."
Full refunds are available but organizers are encouraging fans to hold on to their tickets, which will be valid for the 2021 festival.
RELATED: Jazz Fest cancels 2020 event
"While we get to work planning our Halloween celebration for next year, we need you and your krewe to carry on the Voodoo spirit in your communities. Take care of yourself and each other and we'll see you in City Park in 2021," organizers said.
For ticket information, visit the festival's website.
The Voodoo Experience debuted in 1999 and has drawn thousands to New Orleans City Park for Halloween weekend ever since. Besides single days being cancelled due to weather, this is the first year the full festival will not happen.
The full impact of cancelling these major events, which draw hundreds of thousands of people annually to the tourism-based city of New Orleans, will be extensive.
As of Friday morning, 1,100 coronavirus-related deaths and 22,000 cases had been reported around Louisiana by the state health department. Governor John Bel Edwards and health officials agree these numbers would be significantly higher without the success of social distancing.
New Orleans' stay-at-home order is currently in effect until May 16.
RELATED: ESSENCE Festival 2020 cancelled
► Get breaking news from your neighborhood delivered directly to you by downloading the new FREE WWL-TV News app now in the IOS App Store or Google Play.