NEW ORLEANS — For 60 years, Channel 4 has been privileged to celebrate and share many of those recipes with viewers across south Louisiana and Mississippi. Throughout the cookbook series, The Southern Food and Beverage Museum, which keeps the region’s delicious culinary history and heritage alive, provides historical context to the foods we cook and eat today. Each cookbook partner has also contributed their own recipes for you to enjoy and share.
Recipe: Cheesy Sausage Mushrooms
- cooking spray
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 8 oz. fresh sausage, breakfast, green onion, or Italian, no casing
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, plain or flavored
- 18 mushrooms, stems removed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and Creole seasoning, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Remove the onion mixture from the pan into a large bowl.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, using a spatula to break up the meat into smaller pieces.
- Place the sausage, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Jack cheese and 3 tablespoons of parsley in the bowl with the onions and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the sausage mixture evenly into the mushroom caps nd place on sheet pan.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and stir in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mushrooms.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are browned and mushrooms are cooked through. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
- Note: I like to save the stems for soups or other dishes.
More Recipes by Chef Kevin Belton:
Watch Chef Kevin Belton every Tuesday morning on Eyewitness Morning News on WWL-TV and WUPL.
► Get breaking news from your neighborhood delivered directly to you by downloading the new FREE WWL-TV News app now in the IOS App Store or Google Play.