NEW ORLEANS — For 60 years, Channel 4 has been privileged to celebrate and share many of those recipes with viewers across south Louisiana and Mississippi. Throughout the cookbook series, The Southern Food and Beverage Museum, which keeps the region’s delicious culinary history and heritage alive, provides historical context to the foods we cook and eat today. Each cookbook partner has also contributed their own recipes for you to enjoy and share.
Recipe: Frozen Hot Chocolate Pie
- 40 Oreo cookies-ground finely
- ½ cup unsalted butter-melted
Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse:
- ½ cup unsalted butter-softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese-softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 5 envelops of instant hot cocoa mix (milk chocolate flavor)
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 (3.8 oz.) chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 ¾ cups milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (see note below)
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream (or 2 ½ cups whipped cream)
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Chocolate topping or Nutella for serving\
- To make the crust place whole Oreo cookies with the filling in a food processor and ground in fine crumbs. Stir in melted butter and press the mixture in the bottom of 13 x 9 inches casserole dish. Place in the fridge or freezer to firm while making next layer.
- To make Hot Chocolate Cheesecake Mousse layer, beat softened butter and cream cheese with vanilla and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth.
- In another bowl beat heavy whipping cream and instant milk chocolate powder until stiff peaks form. Fold half of hot chocolate whipped cream in cheesecake mixture, then fold in another half (scrape well the bottom of the bowl to incorporate everything well). Then, spread over the crust and set in the fridge or freezer to firm.
- For pudding layer in a bowl whisk instant chocolate pudding mix and milk until it starts thickening. Stir in mini marshmallows and spread over hot chocolate mousse layer. Place in the fridge or freezer to set.
- When pudding layer has set, make whipped cream. Beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top of pudding layer and place in the fridge for a few hours or better overnight.
- Before serving scatter 2 cups of mini marshmallows over whipped cream.
- Serve drizzled with melted chocolate, Nutella or chocolate topping.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
- Best next day when it firms completely overnight in the fridge. You can make it 2-3 days ahead, but I suggest to make chocolate pudding layer without marshmallows, because marshmallows mixed in pudding became soggy after a few days in the fridge.
More Recipes by Chef Kevin Belton:
Watch Chef Kevin Belton every Tuesday morning on Eyewitness Morning News on WWL-TV and WUPL.