NEW ORLEANS – A man accused in the shooting deaths of three men, including one who was wounded in February of 2013, allegedly by the suspect, and then shot and killed two months later after recovering from the first incident, was sentenced to 30 years in jail Monday after reaching a plea deal on the crimes.
Isaac “Ike” Jones was suspected of killing two men to avenge the shooting death of his father, according to a report in the New Orleans Advocate.
Jones’ crime spree spanned about 11 months from May 2012 to April 2013.
As jurors were preparing to hear the case, the deal was announced. Jones admitted his guilt as part of the deal, according to Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office.
Jones will receive 30 years in state prison, but will get credit for time served and could serve as few as 20 years total.
Cannizzaro’s office said Jones had faced three potential life sentences had the case gone to trial, but Cannizzaro said witnesses would not cooperate, necessitating the deal.
Jones pleaded to:
- Counts 1 & 2: Guilty as charged to aggravated assault with a firearm (five-year sentence) and illegal discharge of a weapon to intimidate a person during a crime of violence (20 years). These offenses came in a May 2012 incident in which Jones pointed a gun, fired into the air and threatened to kill his uncle Michael Stern in a dispute over control of his late grandmother's house in the 3300 block of Castiglione Street.
- Count 3: Guilty of an amended charge of manslaughter (20 years) for the August 2012 fatal shooting of Jeremy "MCK Jay" Curry, 25. Curry, a reputed member of the Mid-City Killers street gang, was gunned down in the driveway of a home in the 8600 block of Gervais Street in New Orleans East.
- Count 4: Guilty as charged of attempted second-degree murder (20 years) of Orlando "Lanny" Rickmon in February 2013. Rickmon was shot several times in the 3300 block of Toledano Street five days after the murder of Jones' father, but survived.
- Count 5: Guilty of an amended charge of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder (30 years) in the fatal shooting of Rickmon, 26, who was killed on the front porch of a home in the 4000 block of Baudin Street in Mid-City on April 23, 2013.
- Count 6: Guilty of an amended charge of manslaughter (20 years) for the fatal shooting of Desmond Bell, 22, who was killed with Rickmon in the April 2013 Mid-City shooting.
- Count 7: Guilty as charged of attempted first-degree murder (20 years) of Daymond Harris, an 8-year-old boy who was seriously wounded when shot during Jones' attack on Rickmon and Bell. Harris was playing with other children a few houses away when struck by gunfire.