NEW ORLEANS — Students were welcomed back onto Dillard University campus after several halls were evacuated due to a "major gas leak" Friday morning, school officials say.
The Dillard University Police Department tweeted about the evacuation around 9:30 a.m. Friday. They gave the all clear about an hour later, around 10:30 a.m.
A contractor working on the campus reportedly struck a gas line, DUPD said.
Shortly after the incident, the police department confirmed that buildings near the leak had been evacuated and the New Orleans Fire Department was at the scene.
A hazard mitigation team from Entergy was also reportedly responding to the event.
"When I came out of my dorm hall, that's all I smelled was gas," a student told WWL-TV.
Authorities did not immediately provide any timeline for when the evacuation would be lifted.
No injuries were reported.
It is unclear exactly how many students were evacuated from the school buildings.