LOUISIANA, USA — Hurricane Sally is expected to bring heavy rain, flash flooding, and an “extremely dangerous” storm surge across portions of the Central Gulf Coast from Monday through the middle of the week.
The National Hurricane Center says Sally is expected to strengthen to a Category 2 hurricane before making landfall. Hurricane conditions are expected by early Tuesday from Grand Isle, Louisiana to Ocean Springs, Mississippi, including the metropolitan New Orleans area.
Preparations should be rushed to completion in those areas ahead of landfall.
Here is a parish-by-parish list of what we have so far. If you know of a school closure that you don't see on here, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org from a verified school email address.
- All Lafourche Parish schools and offices will be open on Wednesday. Students on the A/B “In-person” schedule will resume classes on an “A” day tomorrow, Wednesday, September 16, 2020.
- JC Ellis school closed Wednesday due to fire
- All Jefferson Parish public schools will reopen on Wednesday, September 16, following two days of closures due to Hurricane Sally. All school and district activities will resume as scheduled.
- Concordia Lutheran School will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Closure decisions will be made daily by school administrators.
- JCFA East and West will be closed Tuesday and will ask students to work virtually on Wednesday.
- Herzing University campus operations will re-open Wednesday
- Orleans Public Schools- All distance learning classes will resume on Wednesday along with the reopening of the NOLA-PS central office and school buildings.
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary/ Leavell College has canceled classes and closed offices Monday-Wednesday
- Bishop McManus Academy will be closed on Monday and Tuesday for both in-person and distance learning students. Classes are expected to resume on Wednesday.
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary - Monday through Wednesday
- NOCCA student classes/distance learning resumes Wednesday
- Delgado Community College - The college will resume normal operations Wednesday morning.
- Dillard - Return to normal operations Wednesday.
- UNO - Resume normal operations Wednesday
- Loyola University- Reopen for normal operations Wednesday
- Tulane- reopens for classes Wednesday
- University of Holy Cross - no update yet
- Xavier University - reopen for classes Wednesday
- Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) will reopen its campus Wednesday
-International High School of New Orleans is scheduled to reopen on Wednesday.
Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of New Orleans will resume normal operations tomorrow, Wednesday. Parents are encouraged to check their child's schools' website and social media as well as check their emails for more information.
St. Charles Parish
- Public schools closed Monday through Wednesday. The school board office, classes and eLearning will resume on Thursday.
- St. Charles Borromeo school closed Monday - Wednesday
St. John the Baptist Parish
- St. John the Baptist Parish Public Schools will reopen on Wednesday. Students who have evacuated and who have not returned by the start of school tomorrow will be allowed to enter school late and make up any necessary assignments.
- Private schools will reopen Wednesday.
St. Tammany Parish
- Kehoe-France Northshore will be open on Monday and closed on Tuesday
- Catholic schools may open with in-person or virtual learning, or may close on Monday, September 14.
- St. Margaret Mary Catholic School in Slidell will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Public schools (including the STPPS Virtual School )
- Lake Castle Slidell Private School Closed Tuesday
-All St. Tammany Parish Public Schools and offices will re-open Wednesday. Students should report following the current plan where students in grades Pre-K to 5 return to school in person. Students in grades 6-12 follow the hybrid model where this week students with last names beginning with letters A-K will report in person Wednesday and Friday and students with last names M-Z report in person Thursday. Virtual School students will resume their normal schedule.
- Belle Chasse Primary School will reopen Wednesday for both virtual and in-person.
- Belle Chasse Elementary School will reopen Wednesday for both virtual and in-person.
- Belle Chasse Middle School will reopen Wednesday for both virtual and in-person.
- Belle Chasse High School will reopen Wednesday for both virtual and in-person.
- Belle Chasse Academy open Wednesday but on two-hour delay as Naval base gets back to normal operations.Doors will open for students at 9:50. Staff are to report at 9:30. Buses will depart their usual locations (2) hours later than normal time.
- Phoenix High School will reopen on Wednesday. Both virtual and in person learning will resume their daily schedules.
- South Plaquemines Elementary School will remain closed until further notice.
- South Plaquemines High School will remain closed until further notice.
- Boothville-Venice Elementary School will remain closed until further notice.
- Plaquemines Parish Learning Center will remain closed until further notice.
St. Bernard Parish
- St. Bernard Parish Public School System will resume regular operations Wednesday.
- Nunez Community College
- Our Lady of Prompt Succor in Chalmette will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Reopening information will be announced at a later date.
- Catholic Schools closed Monday and Tuesday
-TANGIPAHOA PARISH SCHOOL SYSTEM - PreK - 8th-grade traditional students will resume classes on campus on Wednesday, September 16th. Those PK-8th grade students who have chosen the full virtual option will resume classes online.
- Terrebonne Parish public schools All Schools and Offices will open & resume normal hours on Wednesday
-Fletcher Technical Community College Will resume normal operations and in-person classes Tuesday
- Public Schools
- Hancock County School District will remain on schedule for distance learning tomorrow, Wednesday.