METAIRIE, La. — The Jefferson Parish Public School system is working to help feed students during the prolonged school closure because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The efforts have resulted in a parish-wide lunch and breakfast program starting Wednesday, March 18.
“Nothing we offer will fully replace the supports our kids receive when our doors are open,” said JP Schools Superintendent Dr. Cade Brumley. “We are stepping up to make this uncertain time a little easier for families.”
Meals will be provided Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., for any child 18 and under, regardless of whether they are a student at a Jefferson Parish school. Meals include lunch for the day and breakfast for the following morning.
Printed learning packets will also be available for pre-K - 8th grade students.
Adults must be present with children to receive both meals and learning packets. Parents and students should leave campuses immediately after receiving their materials.
High school students are encouraged to use jpschools.org to access their work online.
(For a statewide list of schools operating meal services, click here)
● Bissonet Plaza Elementary: 6818 Kawanee Drive in Metairie
● Emmett Gilbert School: 435 S. Jamie Blvd. in Westwego
● Fisher: 2529 Jean Lafitte Blvd. in Lafitte
● Gretna Middle: 910 Gretna Blvd. in Gretna
● Hazel Park Elementary: 8809 Jefferson Hwy. in River Ridge
● Marie Riviere Elementary: 1564 Lake Ave. in Metairie
● Marrero Middle: 4100 7th Street in Marrero
● Meisler Middle: 3700 Cleary Ave. in Metairie
● Riverdale High: 240 Riverdale Drive in Jefferson
● Terrytown Elementary: 550 E. Forest Lawn Drive in Terrytown
● Truman School: 5417 Ehret Road in Marrero
● Woods Elementary: 1037 31st Street in Kenner
● Worley Middle: 801 Spartans Drive in Westwego
There is an academic support hotline number, 504-349-8999. The call center will be open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning March 18.
► Get breaking news from your neighborhood delivered directly to you by downloading the new FREE WWL-TV News app now in the IOS App Store or Google Play.