Breaking News
More () »

Seacor captain was told to sail despite severe weather, lawsuit alleges

Her account differs from that of Seacor, which said that the decision to sail on that fateful day rested solely with the ship’s captain.

COCODRIE, La. — In the latest suit filed in the case of the capsized Seacor Power vessel which has presumably taken the lives of 13 crew members – six whose bodies have been recovered and seven of who are currently missing – the wife of the deceased captain alleges that her husband was told to sail despite the storm conditions.

Yvette Ledet's account differs from that of Seacor, which said that the decision to sail on that fateful day rested solely with the ship’s captain, her husband, David Ledet.

“The go, no-go decision is entirely the captain’s," said Seacor Marine CEO John Gellert last week. "The captain can rely on us, everyone ashore, or weather reports for advice, but ultimately it’s his decision.”

Yvette Ledet’s attorney, Hugh Lambert of The Lambert Firm said in response Friday, 

“Captain Ledet and every member of that crew who works for Seacor, they get paid the same amount of money whether they go an hour later, or four hours later, or the next morning. Seacor, on the other hand, wants their vessel not to lose its contracts and they only get paid if it keeps its contracts.”

Six out of 19 crew members were rescued after the ship capsized in rough weather conditions two weeks ago.

Yvette Ledet filed the suit Wednesday against Seacor Marine and Talos Energy, the latter of which operated the oil platform where the Seacor Power was headed to set up shop.

The suit alleges that, “Despite the strong weather front and dangerous weather conditions in the Gulf of Mexico, the SEACOR POWER, at the direction and control of the defendants… left Port Fourchon, Louisiana at approximately 1:30 p.m., endangering the lives of the crew members onboard the vessel.

The suit says that at the time the ship left port, the National Weather Service had already issued several marine warnings for locations in southeast Louisiana, including Port Fourchon.

The suit claims that the events of April 13 and 14 were caused “solely and exclusively by the negligence and fault of Defendants,” for several reasons, including…

  • Failing to use reasonable care
  • Failing to address deteriorating and dangerous weather conditions
  • Failing to follow weather advisories
  • Failing to provide proper and adequate equipment
  • Failing to maintain the vessel in a safe state of repair
  • Failing to take reasonable precautions

RELATED: Search continues for the remaining 7 missing crew members on the capsized Seacor Power liftboat

RELATED: 'Until God tells me to stop' - search for missing Seacor crew continues

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out