Breaking News
More () »

Fire at historic downtown Covington feed store

Several units were fighting the fire that broke out before 7 p.m. at the store on East Gibson and North Vermont.

COVINGTON, La. — Firefighters fought a major blaze at the historic Marsolan's Feed and Seed Store in Downtown Covington Monday night.

The building, which has been around since before World War II, was declared a total loss. However, despite its proximity to other businesses, a quick response by many fire units kept it from spreading, especially considering that the store contained some fertilizers, which can be flammable.

Several units from Fire District 12, Fire District 13 in Goodbee and Fire District 2 in Madisonville fought the fire that broke out before 7 p.m. at the store on East Gibson and North Vermont.

Flames were shooting out into the sky and several people were seen observing.

There did not appear to be anyone injured nor any damages to other buildings.

Jeanie Bazer, the sister of the store's owner, said she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

“A lot of emotion. Shock, gratitude that no one was hurt. Gratitude to the community for supporting us, I think, 62 years. It’s been a wonderful time.”

A Facebook post by Raelynn Marsolan said, "What a sad day for Covington. So many memories as a child spent there."

The Marsolan’s Feed & Seed building dates back to the 1920s and was known to host bluegrass and country music shows. Organizers said the building's wooden floor, walls and ceiling created a good sound.

VIDEO below courtesy Cindy Schneida 

RELATED: Dog severely burned makes remarkable comeback

RELATED: Bumper left behind following hit-and-run crash in Covington

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out