NEW ORLEANS — Tuesday, public transportation organizations in the New Orleans area began a series of meetings to share with the public potential plans to update the transit systems.
During the meetings, Regional Planning Commission staff members will demonstrate three different concepts of how buses and streetcars can be used in a better way to serve people in the Greater New Orleans area, the Mayor's office said.
The demonstrations will include a visual presentation of the concepts. After the demonstration, the meetings will give people a chance to ask questions, make suggestions and interact with the project team, so they can better the concept.
OTHER NEWS: Top Disney park ticket now exceeds $200
The first concept, Concept A, looks most similar to the current public transportation system, but it makes small changes to make more connections and to help services be more timely.
Concept B rearranges the current public transit system around multiple bus lines that arrive every 15 minutes.
Concept C, the most far-reaching, overhauls the RTA and JeT network, creating regional hubs with their own local networks.
The Mayor's office said the concepts were created from feedback received from stakeholders and citizens while reaching out in 2019 during the first phase of New Links, the name given to the redesign process.
The series of meetings is the second phase of New Links, which has been a collaboration between the RPC, the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority, the New Orleans Mayor's Office of Transportation, and Jefferson Transit.
The first meeting was Tuesday morning at the New Orleans Downtown Library, and local officials attended including, Mayor LaToya Cantrell, Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee-Sheng and RTA CEO Alex Wiggins.
Here is a list of scheduled meetings:
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.
New Orleans Downtown Library (219 Loyola Ave. New Orleans, LA 70112)
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.
Jefferson Transit Headquarters at Wilty Terminal (21 Westbank Expwy.; Westbank Expressway at Milton Street; Gretna, LA 70053)
- Thursday, Feb. 13 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.-7 p.m.
East New Orleans Public Library (5641 Read Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70127)
There will also be a series of “pop-up” community meetings available to RTA riders on-site:
- Wednesday, Feb. 12 8 a.m.-10 a.m. Wilty Terminal (prior to Wilty Terminal kickoff)
- Thursday, Feb. 13 7 a.m.-9 a.m. Duncan Plaza
- Wednesday, Feb. 19 3 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Cemeteries Transit Center
- Thursday, Feb. 20 7 a.m.-9:30 a.m. Duncan Plaza
- Wednesday, Feb. 26 3 p.m.-6 p.m. 94 Broad Ride-Along (Meet at RTA)
- Thursday, Feb. 27 7 a.m.-9:30 a.m. Duncan Plaza
- Wednesday, March 4 3 p.m.-5:30 a.m. Wilty Terminal
- Thursday, March 5 7 a.m.-9 a.m. Duncan Plaza
- Thursday, March 12 7 a.m.-9 a.m. Duncan Plaza
- Thursday, March 12 12 a.m.-2 a.m. Duncan Plaza (late-night)