NEW ORLEANS — A few hundred people brought chairs, blankets, air mattresses and a supply of coffee to be at the front of the line to purchase special tickets to the May 2 date of the Jazz and Heritage Festival in order to see the Rolling Stones in concert.
By mid-morning, that line had grown to the point where it almost completely encircled the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Those wishing to get tickets were given wrist bands, at total of which 5,000 were handed out. Each person could purchase two tickets.
The venerable British band, a mainstay and trendsetter in rock and roll for more than 50 years will be performing at the 50th anniversary of the Jazz and Heritage Festival in a special event.
Tickets to see the Stones, which have been selling out nationwide, will go on sale to Louisiana residents only starting at 10 a.m. Thursday. The sales of those tickets are limited.
Fans were asked not to line up prior to midnight, but some near the front of the line said they had been there since 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. Fans have to get a wristband, which saves their place in line, then are allowed to line up.
Additional tickets will be available online Friday to the general public. The exact amount of tickets to be sold online - and Thursday - has not been made public.
Here is what you need to know before you head out to grab your tickets:
- This special presale will only take place at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome Box Offices located at Gate D & Gate H on the Plaza Level.
- The Box Office will be open from 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM on Thursday, January 17, 2019.
- Up to two (2) tickets can be purchased per valid Louisiana ID.
- Each individual must be present with their own ID to make a purchase.
- A limited number of tickets are available on a first-come first-served basis.
- Complimentary presale parking located in Garage 5 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- Patrons can start lining up at 12:01 AM on Thursday, January 17.
- Jazz Fest tickets for Thursday, May 2nd are day-specific. Patrons must have a May 2nd ticket for entry.
- May 2nd will be a limited-capacity Jazz Fest day – Tickets are expected to sell out quickly.
- General admission tickets for May 2nd are $185.00 (plus applicable fees).
- Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, January 18. After the general public on sale, Jazz Fest tickets will be available online and at the Smoothie King Center Box Office.