When it comes to paying for college the price tag can vary greatly, even within the same Louisiana city.
Undergraduate tuition and fees at four-year institutions in the Bayou State range from $52,000 to $6,500 a year, according to recent figures published on their websites.
Here's a look at those costs for Louisiana residents attending public and private universities, ranked from most to least expensive. Two-year colleges are not included.
Numbers reflect full-time cost — at least 12 credit hours a semester — and are calculated for a year. They do not include costs like room and board or books.
The most and least expensive schools hail from the same city, private school Tulane University and public Southern University New Orleans.
Like its public counterparts, SUNO charges a fee for students coming from outside Louisiana, and its cost jumps to more than $15,000. Private schools do not differentiate rates for in-state versus out-of-state tuition and fees.
Not surprisingly, private colleges cost the most. In fact, tuition is higher at Tulane University in New Orleans than Harvard University, which charges $46,340 before you add in room, board and fees.
But Tulane and Louisiana's other private schools have tuition prices comparable to some private universities in nearby states.
Baylor University in Waco, Texas, costs $45,792 a year. Rice University in Houston costs $46,600. Louisiana College's price tag is not far from Mississippi's of $17,000 a year.
Where is tuition the highest? Where is it the lowest?
1. Tulane University, New Orleans: $52,960 a year
2. Loyola University New Orleans: $39,942 a year
3. Centenary College of Louisiana, Shreveport: $36,580 a year
4. Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans: $21,212 a year
5. Dillard University, New Orleans $17,000 a year
6. Louisiana College, Pineville: $16,000 a year
7. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge: $11,318 a year
8. University of Louisiana at Lafayette: $9,450
9. Louisiana Tech University: $9,255
10. University of New Orleans: $8,734
11. Southern University, Baton Rouge: $8,666
12. Southeastern Louisiana of University, Hammond: $8,589.40
13. Northwestern State, Natchitoches: $8,588
14. University of Louisiana at Monroe: $8,470
15. Nicholls State, Thibodaux: $7,939.80
16. McNeese State, Lake Charles: $7,934.46
17. Grambling State: $7,435
18. LSU Shreveport: $7,166.48
19. LSU of Alexandria: $6,767.90
20. Southern University New Orleans: $6,421