NEW ORLEANS — Tropical Storm Sally is expected to bring heavy rain, flash flooding, and an “extremely dangerous” storm surge across portions of the Central Gulf Coast from Monday through the middle of the week.
The National Hurricane Center says Sally is expected to strengthen to a Category 2 hurricane before making landfall. Hurricane conditions are expected by early Tuesday from Grand Isle, Louisiana to Ocean Springs, Mississippi, including the metropolitan New Orleans area.
Preparations should be rushed to completion in those areas ahead of landfall.
Here is a list of sandbag locations available ahead of the storm:
Mayor Ben Zahn has authorized two sandbag locations in Kenner. Residents who are able to fill up the sand bags are asked to bring their own shovels and do so. Kenner firefighters will be at both locations to help those residents who are unable to fill the sandbags on their own.
- Muss Bertolino Gym, 600 W. Esplanade Ave
- Butch Duhe Sports Complex, 1710 10th Street
Sandbags will be available at the following locations on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.:
- Arthur Monday Center — 1111 Newton St.
- Dryades YMCA — 2220 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.
- Milne Recreation Center — corner of Franklin and Filmore Avenues
- Former Walmart and Sam's parking lot — 6901 Bundy Rd.
Beginning at 10 a.m., parish-wide sandbag locations will be open, but residents should bring their own shovels and only take what they need. Bags will be provided.
Residents can fill their sandbags at the following locations:
• Plaquemines Parish Government Complex, PROWM Building — 333 F. Edward Hebert Blvd, Belle Chasse, LA 70037)
• Port Sulphur YMCA — 278 Civic Dr, Port Sulphur, LA 70083
• Buras YMCA — 36342 Hwy 11, Buras, LA 70041
• Boothville Area across from Boothville-Venice Elementary School — Oiler Dr #1, Boothville, LA 70038
• Davant Community Center — 15577 Hwy 15, Braithwaite, LA 70040
• Braithwaite Auditorium, —1253 LA-39, Braithwaite, LA 70040
St. Bernard Parish
Self sandbagging will be available Sunday morning beginning at 8 a.m., going on until sand runs out
Residents can fill their sandbags at the following locations:
- St. Bernard Port – 100 Port Blvd., Chalmette.
- Government Complex – 8201 W. Judge Perez Dr., Chalmette.
- OTB – 4242 E. Judge Perez Dr., Meraux.
- Historic Courthouse – 1201 Bayou Rd., St. Bernard.
St. James Parish
Beginning at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, sand and bags will be available. Residents are asked to bring a shovel to fill sandbags at the following locations:
- Grand Point Fire Station —32122 LA-642, Paulina, LA 70763
- Vacherie Fire Training Center —29126 Health Unite St, Vacherie, LA 70090
- Kingview Fire Station — 8120 Kingview St, St. James, LA 70090
- Gramercy Water Plant – 407 East Jefferson Highway, Gramercy, LA 70052
St. John Parish
Sandbag sites will open Sunday9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Self-Serve Sandbag Locations:
- St. John Community Center — 2900 US-51, Laplace, LA 70068
- Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy) — 105 Firehouse Ln, Reserve, LA 70084
- Ezekiel Jackson Park —130 Historic Main St, Reserve, LA 70084
- Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park - Edgard
- Wallace Fire Station
- Lucy Fire Station
- Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled: (Limit 10 pre-filled)
- 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
St. Tammany Parish
St. Tammany Parish Government will open six self-service sandbag locations beginning Sunday. All locations will have sand and bags provided. Residents are asked to bring their own shovels in case all shovels provided are in use. residents are asked to limit the number of sandbags to 15 per vehicle. There will be someone on-hand to help the elderly and/or disabled at each location.
The locations will be open Sunday 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Monday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- St. Tammany Parish Government - Building — 21410 Koop Dr., Mandeville, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Airport Road Barn — 34583 Grantham College Rd, Slidell, La.
- The Old Levee District Site — 61134 Military Road (Hwy 190), Slidell, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works- Fritchie Barn — 63119 Highway 1090, Pearl River, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Keller Barn — 63131 Fish Hatchery Road, Lacombe, La.
- St. Tammany Parish Public Works Barn- Covington Barn — 1305 N. Florida Street, Covington, La.
The Tangipahoa Parish Government will distribute sandbags starting on Sunday, as officials monitor Tropical Storm Sally, which is forecast to impact the area over the next several days.
Sandbags will be available 9 a.m. Sunday at:
- Tangipahoa Parish Government’s Public Works Office — 44512 W. Pleasant Ridge Road, east of Hammond
- Roseland Public Works Shop — 63101 Commercial Street in Roseland, beginning at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
Miller said crews will distribute up to 15 bags per residential structure and 30 per business.
In addition, the parish has opened self-service sandbag stations, residents will need to bring their own shovel, at the following locations:
- 8th Ward Fire Department on LA 445,
- 8th Ward Fire Station on LA 22 in Bedico,
- Ponchatoula East Station 4 at the corner of Sandhill Cemetery Road and LA 22
- Ponchatoula West Station 3 on the corner of Morgan Drive and LA 22
- Husser Fire Station on LA 445
- Natalbany Fire on LA 1064
- Baptist Fire Station
- Wilmer Fire Station
- Independence Fire Station
- Loranger Fire Station
- Kentwood Volunteer Fire Station on LA 38 East
Terrebonne Parish self-service sandbag locations are located at the following locations:
- Bobtown Vol. Fire Station 4717 Grand Caillou Rd.
- Civic Center 346 Civic Center Blvd.
- St. Ann Church 4355 Highway 24
- Mechanicville Gym 2814 Senator St
- Adult Softball Complex 9544 East Main St.
- Ward 7 5006 Highway 56
- Upper Dularge Fire Station 31767 Bayou Dularge
- Knights of Columbus Hall 1558 Hwy 665
- Village East Fire Station 100 Development St
- Bayou Black Fire Station 2820 Savanne Rd
- Montegut Fire Station 1105 Hwy 55
- Cannata's West 6307 West Park Ave.
- Donner Community Center 361 Azalea Dr.
- Public Works North Campus 206 Government St.
- West Terrebonne Fire Station 110 Merry Moss St.
- Devon Keller Memorial Center 5575 Bayou Black Rd.
- Gibson East Fire Station5218 North Bayou Black Rd
Sand and bags will be available, but residents must bring their own shovels.
Begining noon Sunday, for residents in unincorporated Washington Parish:
- Washington Parish Fire Department #7 17380 Bill Booty Rd., Bogalusa, LA
- Public Works Location #3 801 Pearl St., Franklinton, LA
- Public Works Location #2 Yacc Rd., Bogalusa, LA (behind Washington PArish Animal Shelter)
Begining noon Sunday, for residents of Varnado and Angie:
- Varnado Town Hall 63097 Main St. Varnado, LA.
- Prefilled bags available for people who can't fill their own.
Beginning 8 a.m. Monday, for Bogalusa City residents — limit 10 bags/person
- Austin Street @ Bayer Street
- Main Street Ball Park
- Avenue B Sports Complex
Beginning 7 a.m. Monday, for Franklinton residents — limit 10 bags/person
- 1108 Lenora St., Franklinton, LA.
- Prefilled bags available.