NEW ORLEANS — A winter storm passing across Louisiana has forced road closures throughout the Southeast because of icy road conditions and other hazards associated with the storm.
Here are some of the largest closures, although smaller stretches of road may be closed and opened at the discretion of local officials.
- I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette in both directions
- Sunshine Bridge
- Veterans Memorial Bridge Gramercy
- US 90 from Amelia Bridge in Morgan City through Gibson, La.
- LA 20 bridge at the Lafourche and St. James Parish line.
- I-110 in Baton Rouge
- Hwy 20 at Bayou Chevreuil and the Veterans Memorial Bridge
- The Causeway will have a single lane open in each direction.
- I-55 from LaPlace to Ponchatoula
- I-55 from the Mississippi state line to LA 40 in Independence
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for parts of southeast Louisiana as winter storms are set to bring Arctic air and icy conditions to the area through Tuesday.
Forecasters say heavy freezing rain or sleet is expected across Louisiana on Monday to bring significant impacts. Areas north and west of Bogalusa to Hammond to Pierre Part will see the most severe impacts.
After the rain ends, even colder air will arrive tonight producing dangerously cold wind chill values as low as 5 degrees overnight into Tuesday morning.
These wind chills could result in hypothermia or frostbite if precautions are not taken. Use caution while traveling outside. Wear appropriate clothing, a hat, and gloves.