WWL-TV Meteorologist Alexandra Cranford

Most of this week brings the trend of highs near 90 and some scattered afternoon rain. The highest chance for those afternoon storms will be Monday and Tuesday as a small upper-level low pressure area moves near us and helps spark some of the afternoon rain. As with most rain this time of year, it will be mainly in the daytime with most action slacking off as we near sunset (which is just after 8:00 p.m. right now).

Rain chances stay elevated at near 60% on Tuesday. The upper disturbance slides away from us by late Tuesday, so rain chances will be slightly lower (but still near 40%) for Wednesday and Thursday.

Rain amounts this week could be a half-inch to 1.5 inches or so under the storms… but particularly heavy downpours could bring more than that for isolated areas which could lead to some spotty street flooding at times. A few stray storms could also bring some high wind gusts although the severe threat looks low overall this week.

High pressure from the east builds over us by Friday bringing drier and hotter weather for Friday and the weekend.

No tropical activity is expected in the Atlantic Basin this week.

The Mississippi river is cresting this weekend upriver. It is holding just above 61 feet at Red River Landing which is just below the trigger point for opening the Morganza Spillway - so it is not expected to be opened. Later this week, the river should begin slowly falling upriver at Red River Landing and Baton Rouge. Here, it is forecast to remain near steady through at least the end of June.

► Download the FREE WWL-TV News app now in the iTunes store or on Google Play.

DETAILED FORECAST:

SUNDAY NIGHT:
Partly cloudy, humid and mild with a stray shower possible. Lows around 77. Wind SE 3-8 mph.

MONDAY:
Sun/cloud mix, hot and humid with a 60% chance for scattered showers or thunderstorms. Highs around 90 feeling like middle 90s. Wind SE 5-10 mph.

MONDAY NIGHT:
Mostly cloudy, mild and humid with a 30% chance for showers or storms. Lows around 77. Wind SE 3-8 mph.

TUESDAY:
Sun/cloud mix, hot and humid with a 60% chance for scattered showers or thunderstorms. Highs around 89 feeling like middle 90s. Wind SW 5-10 mph.

WEDNESDAY:
Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 40% chance for a few scattered showers or thunderstorms. Lows around 77. Highs around 92 feeling like middle to upper 90s.

THURSDAY:
Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 40% chance for a few scattered showers or thunderstorms. Lows around 77. Highs around 92 feeling like middle to upper 90s.

FRIDAY:
Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 20% chance for isolated showers or thunderstorms. Lows around 78. Highs around 93 feeling like upper 90s.

SATURDAY:
Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 20% chance for isolated showers or thunderstorms. Lows around 78. Highs around 93 feeling like upper 90s.

SUNDAY:
Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 30% chance for spotty showers or thunderstorms. Lows around 78. Highs around 92 feeling like upper 90s.