NEW ORLEANS — For 60 years, Channel 4 has been privileged to celebrate and share many of those recipes with viewers across south Louisiana and Mississippi. Throughout the cookbook series, The Southern Food and Beverage Museum, which keeps the region’s delicious culinary history and heritage alive, provides historical context to the foods we cook and eat today. Each cookbook partner has also contributed their own recipes for you to enjoy and share.
Cold Weather Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. andouille or smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. potatoes, red or Yukon gold, diced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Green onions and parsley, chopped for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté for 5 minutes, slightly browning.
- Stir in garlic, onion, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and Creole seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with green onions and parsley for garnish.
More Recipes by Chef Kevin Belton
Watch Chef Kevin Belton every Tuesday morning on Eyewitness Morning News on WWL-TV and WUPL.