NEW ORLEANS — Anticipating the arrival of more winter weather, the Louisiana State Police has asked people to keep their cars off the roadways as much as possible to give the Dept. of Transportation a chance to make the roadways safer.
LSP issued an advisory Thursday morning with the following list of closures:
- I-20 Eastbound in Caddo Parish near the city limits of Greenwood at milepost 5
- I-20 Eastbound remains closed from the 23-33 (Bossier City to Haughton) US 80 Eastbound detour route near Hillcrest
- I-20 Eastbound in Webster Parish at Goodwill Road
- I-20 Eastbound in Bienville Parish at milepost 57 (8 miles east of Minden)
- I-20 Both Eastbound and Westbound east of Ruston
- I-20 Westbound in Bienville approximately 3 west of Arcadia closed for CMVs but inside lane open for Passenger vehicles
- I-49 Northbound near Stonewall
On Ash Wednesday, most of the Metro New Orleans' main traffic arteries were clogged after freezing weather iced many elevated roadways and bridges, leaving them unsafe to drive on.
Drivers who see dangerous conditions or need help while on the highway in Louisiana can get in touch with the nearest LSP troop by dialing *LSP or *577 from your cell phone.
Six cars collided near US90B East Bound's Earhart offramp. Several other roadways were closed because of ice, but have since reopened, including multiple sections of the I-10
Wednesday, DOTD spokesperson Michael Vinsaneu said that crews deployed to salt the roadways to reopen.
LSP says it responded to many drivers who couldn't stay on the roadway.
"We understand essential workers must travel. However, please drive cautiously during these dangerous conditions," a video posted by the LSP on their Facebook page says. "These storms have been unprecedented, and have impacted our state in many ways, but we're near the finish line."